HOW DOES IOT WORK?
In a nutshell, IoT works in the following way:
- Devices have hardware like sensors, for example, that collect data.
- The data collected by the sensors is then shared via the cloud and integrated with software.
- The software then analyzes and transmits the data to users via an app or website.
Smart devices connect to an IoT platform, described by the experts at IoT For All as « the support software that connects everything in an IoT system. » There are hundreds of IoT platforms and some are made by such industry giants as Oracle and IBM.
IoT Deep Dive
For more on how IoT works and where it’s being used, check out any of the linked articles on this page. We’ve done deep dives on everything under the sun, but here are a few of our favorites:
Overview & Examples
- 24 IoT Examples and Applications That Show the Power of Connectivity in Everyday Life
- 31 Internet of Things Companies Building a More Connected Future
IoT in Healthcare